For five years Fydell House was unoccupied, until Samuel Waddingtton his wife Jane became the new tenants. It was during Mr Waddington’s tenancy that the long-established link between Fydell House and the Church of England was broken. Samuel Waddington was a Methodist and president of the Liberal Club. His assets went into liquidation following a disastrous venture into the trawler ownership business in 1902. He and his family left Fydell House in 1905 for a house on Sleaford Road.
Tom Kitwood become the next tenant in October 1906, leaving in August 1923. Like the Waddingtons before, the Kitwoods moved to Sleaford Road.
In 1926 the lease was taken up by Frederick John Miller. He was a recently appointed customs officer. Frederick was a talented artist and is known to have painted the garden.
On 14th June 1928, a “Great Garden Party” took place at the house in aid of restoration funding for Boston Stump, which was in urgent need of repair. Opened by A.W Dean MP, the event consisted of concert artists, gymnastic displays, folk dancing, tea gardens and many side shows. News of the appeal spread over the Atlantic to Boston, Massachusetts. Beginning in September 1930 the annual “goodwill” and “cultural” visits began. They were centred upon the Fydell House garden parties.
Fydell House was to become a branch of the English Speaking Union. The former drawing-room on the left side, past the front door, was set aside by the trust. This was for members to write letters and rest. On the door to this room, there is a plaque. The room is also adorned with portraits of the earliest colonial governors of Boston, Massachusetts from 1641-1769.